Continuous Refactoring vs Refactor Mercilessly ~ Don't Call Us - We'll Call You

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Continuous Refactoring vs Refactor Mercilessly

Good ideas need to have a name. Uncle Bob refers to the boy scouts' rule, "Leave the campground cleaner than you found it". The "Pragmatic Programmer" authours say "Fix the problem, not the blame". Fowler's advise is to refactor any time the code smells.

Google shows that there are
3 660 hits for "Refactor Mercilessly"
2 040 hits for "Continuous Refactoring"

So even if I like "Continuous Refactoring" best, I guess "Refactor Mercilessly" won.

More important, I will try to make this a part of my autopilot programming: Whenever I stumble upon something that smells like crap, I will go ahead and fix it right away. Instead of blaming, commenting or apathetically ignoring the code.

No comments:

Post a Comment